Sunday, February 7, 2010

Brown Sugar Cookies



While I'm usually not impressed by sugar cookies and find them plain, boring, and well just "vanilla", I have to say this recipe for Brown Sugar cookies has me craving more. The yummy toasted butter flavor leaves these melting in your mouth.
However, this test run was not without its problems to say the least. I followed the initial recipe to the tee; yet, looking back, I think I know where I strayed.
I have forgotten one of the cardinal rules of baking: fresh ingredients! To be more specific, my baking powder was a few months past its expiration. I wasnt about to run to the store for just one ingredient; yet, it turned out to be my ultimate downfall. All the amazing flavors were there but the cookies were flat, really flat. More or less, I would call these lace cookies.
While a little time consuming, I am not about to re-make these today but perhaps in the near future. You have to try these!






14 T (1 3/4 sticks) Unsalted butter
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 c. packed dark brown sugar
2. c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 Tbl. Vanilla Extract


Heat oven to 350.


Heat 10 Tbls of butter in a saucepan. Stir until melted butter resembles a golden brown, approx. 5 min. Pour into bowl with remaining 4 T. of butter. Let cool for 15 min.


In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder together. Meanwhile, in a shallow pan, mix together 1/4c. brown sugar and granulated sugar together.


Add remains 1 3/4 c. brown sugar and salt to bowl with butter. Mix thoroughly. Add egg, yolk,and vanilla mixing till well incorporated. Incorporate flour mix into butter mix, stirring till no clumps exist.


Roll approx.. 1 T of dough into balls and roll into sugar mix before placing on a cookie sheet. Bake for 12 min, rotating halfway through time. Cool for 5 min before transferring cookies to cooling rack.


Recipes: Cooks Illustrated

No comments:

 
back to top