Thursday, February 11, 2010

Favorite Tomato Bisque

People usually have a love/hate relationship with tomato soup.  For the most part, an individuals only experience with it is through our childhood favorite brand, Campbells.  While it still can hit the spot during that rainy day in February every other leap year, the condensed can of tomato flavored red stuff just doesnt do it for me anymore. Up until this recipe, I found the best Tomato Bisque at The Loop.  For those unfamiliar with their bisque, I now compare all others to this standard of tastiness.

But Im not here to rave about another soup recipe, Im here to tell you that I found it...EUREKA...the perfect recipe !  I have found the secret ingredient! A Tomato Bisque that hits the spot in all the right places. To top it off, this recipe is easy and fast to make.  In fact, so many people request it, that I just had to post it here for you. 

Hmmm, secret ingredient you say.  Well, are you ready...
Tomato Bisque
*If serving 4 people, I would double the recipe

1 Tbl. butter/EVOO
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 c. oil-packed, sun-dried tomatos, drained and chopped   << MUST be oil-packed!
3 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. cream (I use 1/4 c.)
2 sprigs thyme

In a dutch oven over med-high heat, saute the onion and garlic in the Tbl. butter.  Cook till translucent, approx. 4-5 minutes.  Add broth, tomato, sun-dried tomatoes, and sprigs of thyme.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 min.  Remove sprigs, blend soup together (an immersion blender is wonderful for this). Add cream and salt/pepper to taste.  Serve with mozzerella and cheddar panini.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the loop tomato bisque is not vegetarian and does contain bacon if you were curious:)

Fork1 said...

Thats kinda gross and would would explain why its so terrible nutrition wise, haha. This recipe is defintely a healthier version.

the heller family said...

This recipe is out of control amazing! Just like The Loop if not better. I rave about it to everyone. Thanks!

Fork1 said...

Oh thank you! I too love this soup; although, I need to update with a better picture. To know that others are enjoying my blog recipes inspires me to keep posting :)

 
back to top