Thursday, February 18, 2010

Meatloaf with BBQ Glaze


Meatloaf, just the name doesnt sound appealing.  Who was the first person to think...hmm, I'm going to take a pound of ground meat, mush in some other ingredients, mold it, then bake it. YUM!!!

Meatloaf was never something that was included in our family dinners and I never ordered it at restaurants.

However, a few years ago, I decided to give it a try and I've been hooked ever since.  I wont tell you that I haven't had my meatloaf blunders.  In fact, I've been through them all: meatloaf that was too wet, too dry, falls apart, bland, the list continues.  Today, I feel that I have conquered the secret to a perfect loaf: carrots.  Now, you will have to trust me on this one but it truly makes a difference.

But through all my trials, the one consistant disappointment was the glaze.  Ketchup just wasnt hitting the spot.  Something needed to be done, and I had just the idea!

A BBQ sauce changed the dish.  With a ketchup base and a few standard additions, the glaze was set.  I have later learned to make extra sauce, due to the request and inhalation by Mr. F.  Of course, you cannot have meatloaf without a green veggie and a side of mac n' cheese.  Can you say comfort food?

Meatloaf Recipe:

1 lb. ground sirloin
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1 c. bread crumbs
1 carrot, diced
1 tsp. salt & pepper
1/4 c. ketchup

BBQ Glaze:
1/2 c. ketchup
2 Tbl. cider vinegar
2 Tbl. worcestershire sauce
1 Tbl. dark brown sugar

Meatloaf:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together till well combines.  Shape into ball and place in a well greased loaf pan.  Bake 40-45 min, remove from oven and top with glaze.  Return bak to oven and continue to cook for another 15 min or till center is no longer pink.  Add a second layer of glaze while still hot.

Glaze:
Mix all ingredients together. Add additional worcestershire and/or cider vinegar to meet desired taste and color.

No comments:

 
back to top