Monday, February 15, 2010

Spinach and Artichoke White Pizza




If you are like us, a pizza night is reserved for one evening on the weekend.  Of course, there are the usual toppings of pepperoni and cheese or onions, mushrooms,you name it.  We have even tried a BBQ pork pizza...let's just say that was NOT my favorite but we have since made vast improvement in our topping choices. So going on the spinach or vegetarian pizza theme, a white pizza variant was on the horizon.

Let's be honest, a pizza is not hard to make.  However, having the right ingredients and a pizza stone are a must! 

You may be thinking, what is a white pizza?  Some may deem it to be cheese and topping.  I however, love a base sauce; therefore, I created a garlic white pizza sauce.  Topped with mozzarella, spinach, and artichokes, the white sauce makes the pizza simply awesome!  Now for the honesty, I do not make my own pizza dough.  Not because I am lazy or do not know how, but my local grocer sells the best, fresh pizza dough every day...thus, I have no need to make it myself.  It comes out perfect everytime.  

Now all this pizza talk had made me hungry.
White Pizza:                               
1 lb Fresh Pizza Dough
2 c. Mozzarella Cheese
1 box Cooked, Chopped Spinach
1/2 c. Chopped, Artichoke Hearts
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbl. Butter
2 Tbl. Flour
1 C. Whole Milk or Cream

For Sauce: melt butter in small saucepan . Saute garlic in butter till for 2 min.  Add flour to saucepan, forming a roux, and stir till smooth. Do not let roux brown.  Add milk to roux and stir constantly till mixture has become a thick sauce. 

To assemble pizza: remove pizza stone from hot oven.  Cover stone with rolled dough.  Add white sauce and cover with cheese.  Top with spinach and artichoke hearts. Bake @ 450 for 13-5 min or till edges are golden.

1 comment:

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

This looks positively sinful! This will be my Friday night dinner for sure!

 
back to top