Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beef Short Ribs with Cheesy Polenta


Have you ever had heaven on plate?  Well, if heaven was meat, I think it would be this dish.  I do not make or eat red meat that often but when I do I tend to remake tried and true recipes.  So what led me outside my box?  So glad you asked...

Mr. F and I were having company...my parents.  And just like my mothers birthday, a meal for them must meet a few requirements.  Each parental unit has their tastes and while this may not be difficult for most, my usual repertoire of recipes was not going to work.  In any case, I found what I was looking for on The Pioneer Woman (thank you, thank you!)  I was taking a chance with the beef but I figured the tenderness of the meat would cancel out the cut of meat.  In other words, my mother isn't big on meat in general but if it falls apart and can be mixed with something, she's willing to try it (pain, I know). 

PW has earned my trust from here on out.  I cooked according to the directions (oven not slow cooker) and it turned out perfect.  Per the recipe, I paired the ribs with a creamy cheese polenta and...voila, heaven in your mouth!

FYI, PW has goat cheese in the polenta recipe.  I wasn't about to spend the money on goat cheese but boursin cheese is a great substitute.  If you don't know what polenta is, it's similiar to grits.  If you dont know what grits are, then you aren't from the south and I can't blame you; HOWEVER, mixed with cheese they are delicious.  As a kid, I used to eat cheese grits for breakfast so I might be biased.  However, polenta tends to have a smoother consistency than grits (grits not a grit, I always think of Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny)



Beef Short Ribs:

  • 8 whole Beef Short Ribs
  • Kosher Salt & Pepper To Taste
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 6 pieces Pancetta, Diced
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 3 whole Carrots, Diced
  • 2 whole Shallots, Peeled And Finely Minced
  • 2 cups Red Or White Wine
  • 2 cups Beef Or Chicken Broth (enough To Almost Cover Ribs)
  • 2 sprigs Thyme
  • 2 sprigs Rosemary

Salt and pepper ribs, then dredge in flour. Set aside.
In a large dutch oven, cook pancetta over medium heat until complete crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove pancetta
 and set aside. Do not discard grease.
Add olive oil to pan with the pancetta grease, and raise
heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds
per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
Add onions, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook for
2 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan to
release all the flavorful bits of glory. Bring to a boil and
cook 2 minutes.
Add broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of
freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add more
salt if needed. Add ribs to the liquid; they should be
almost completely submerged. Add thyme and
rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.
Put on the lid and place into the oven. Cook at 350
for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for an
additional 30 to 45 minutes. Ribs should be fork-tender
and falling off the bone. Remove pan from oven and
 allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, lid on, before serving.
At the last minute, skim fat off the top of the liquid.
(Can also refrigerate mixture, then remove solid fat
from the top.)
Serve 2 ribs on bed of creamy polenta, spooning a
 little juice over the top.
Polenta:

  • 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 4 ounces, weight Goat Cheese
Bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil.
Add cornmeal to the water in a thin stream, whisking
constantly to avoid lumps.
Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, adding
salt and extra tablespoons of water as needed.
When polenta is done, stir in butter and goat cheese.
Check seasonings, and add salt to taste.
Recipe From: The Pioneer Woman 

8 comments:

from my motorhome to yours said...

I'm going to be following you for awhile, here and on twitter, your pictures look amazing, your welcome to come by my blog and check out the CSN $45 giveaway I'm having, and check out my first new cookbook,pam

Fork1 said...

Thanks so much! I def will be going by your blog and checking out everything. I am completly jealous that you have a cookbook! Hopefully, I can work up to that but in the meantime, happy cooking!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Sook said...

Mmm that looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, I take pics of my creations too! Yours are much better. Congrats on Foodieblogroll.

Stop by:

www.sacramento-blog-uncut.blogspot.com

Fork1 said...

Thanks everyone! We are SO happy you all enjoy the site. My parents raved about it and the leftovers were even better.

Alison said...

This looks great! I am glad I found your blog! WElcome to the foodie blogroll!

Trish said...

Welcome to the foodie blogroll. I too love the Pioneer Woman...who doesn't?! I also like polenta...grin...and I know not everyone does. So we have two things in common right off the bat! I have been skimming around your site here and you have great little recipes and your writing style is so enjoyable. I am thinking...yep...you will find food friends here! I'll be back

 
back to top