Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chicken Pesto Calzones


Instead of our weekly pizza night, I went out on a limb and created a calzone.  During a hungry spell, I ran across this recipe on Annie's Eats and I just couldn't resist putting my spin on it.  I already had the pizza technique and white sauce recipe down, so how difficult could it be?

Once again, let me reiterate that I do not make my own pizza dough.  Yeast does not like me and my past attempts have only failed in mega proportions.  So I buy my dough, and in an effort to save time, I also bought my own pesto.  *Gasp*  I know, I know, pesto is incredibly simple to make but being a weekday evening I was just looking for a quick dinner.  However, I did make the sauce and cooked the chicken.

I think Fork 2 would agree with me in claiming this recipe a success! Just like pizza, you can add your own ingredients.  I chose, pesto, a cheese white sauce, and chicken.  I was hoping to use mushrooms but, alas, if you read the previous post, I let them sit in the veggie draw too long.  oh well, this was fantastic on its own.

The only trick is sealing the edges.  I tried two ways.  First, I didn't use any liquid around the inner edges.  Using a fork, I pressed firmly around the dough crescent.  This didn't not work as well as my second attempt using olive oil around the inside.  From now on, I will go with the olive oil.  It takes 2 extra seconds and was completely worth it.



Chicken Pesto Calzone (yields 2 large calzones)

1 large chicken breast, cooked, chopped
3 Tbl. pesto
1 recipe cheese white sauce (recipe below)
1 pkg dough, thawed, risen
1 Tbl. olive oil

Preheat you oven to 450 degrees with pizza stone.
On a floured surface, divided package of dough in half; setting aside one half.  Roll out dough into 6-7" circle.  Leaving 1/2" of dough uncovered, spread pesto on entire circle.  On one half place, half of cooked chicken.  Add 3-4 spoonfuls if cheese sauce.  Around the edges, lightly brush on olive oil.  Fold the top half of the dough onto the bottom half and seal the edges using a fork.  Continue the same way with the remaining piece of dough.

When the oven is preheated, remove the pizza stone and carefully place the two calzones on the surface. Bake for 15-18 min or till golden.

Cheese White Sauce:
2 Tbl. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl. flour
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 shredded cheese (I used a mozzarella blend)

In a small saucepan over med heat, melt butter.  Add garlic and cook about 1 min.  Using a whisk, add flour and stir to remove all lumps.  Cook for 30 seconds to remove flour taste.  In a constant slow stream, pour cream and continue to whisk constantly.  Continue to stir till sauce has become thick and will stick heavily to back of spoon.  Add cheese, stir to melt.  Leave pan on low until you are though using because sauce will become too think to pour.


2 comments:

Madhura Manoj said...

looks yummy...

Chris said...

Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!

Those calzones sound so good! I like the pesto!

 
back to top