Saturday, March 20, 2010

Holy Hell Brownies


*Warning* simply reading this recipe may add ten pounds.

There are brownie recipes and then there is this brownies recipe.  I had been drooling over this find for the past several weeks and I have finally given in to the temptation.  I had been forewarned per Buns In My Oven that "[my] life will never be the same again."  So naturally, something so extraordinary had to be taste tested.

When it comes to brownies, I am simple kind of girl.  I usually prefer the easy-to-prepare, boxed mix.  I know, I usually shun away from these premade mixes but I have to agree with Buns_In_My_Oven on this one.  Boxed brownie mixes turn out perfect, molten, chocolatey treats every time. 

Have you ever heard of a picky brownie eater? Well, I'm one of them.  Let me explain... I know many people love nuts, frosting, and crispy edged brownies but I am not one of them.  To me, nuts overpower and disrupt the pleasantness of brownie eating.  I will pick them out if need be.  And frosting!!! Brownies should not be frosted.  End of discussion on that.  And for those of you that like the crispy edges of the brownies, more power to you.  Personally, I really do not understand that new brownie pan that bakes up only edge pieces.  I thought everyone preferred the center.  Im still scratching my head on that one.

But whatever your brownie preferences are or the variations you prefer, this recipe has changed my view on using only boxed mixes.  The picture does not do them justice. 

The verdict:  holy hell these are good!
Fudge Brownies:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder (Use if available, it adds depth to the chocolate)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9×13 baking dish.
In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter completely. Stir in sugar and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow sugar mixture to boil.
Pour butter mixture into a large bowl or stand mixer, beat in cocoa powder, eggs, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
Mix in the flour.  Once the flour is fully incorporated, mix in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a tester comes out mostly clean. The edges should be set and the center should still look slightly moist, but not uncooked.  Cool on a wire rack.
*Originally, the recipe called for baking approx. 30 min.  My brownies needed about 10 more minutes.



5 comments:

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Oh good Lord!! I believe it was appropriatly named!

Teauna said...

The brownie recipe I like the best is alot like this one! And I agree... brownies should NEVER be frosted!!! I'm going to try this recipe when the brownies I made yesterday (from a boxed mix...) are gone! :-) Love your blog!

-bcgw. said...

Wooooow!I'm coming over ;]

Fork1 said...

I couldnt resist and ate half of one for breakfast this morning, oops!

emilykmurphy said...

I can't wait to make these!

 
back to top