Monday, March 1, 2010

S'more Cake Bites



This idea was stemmed from Bakerella's adorable cupcake pops and a variety of marshmallow frosting recipes.  A moist chocolate center concoction with a bottom surrounded by a hard chocolate/graham cracker shell and topped with a toasted marshmallow frosting.  Ooohhhhhh, they are so good!

I wish I could tell you that these bite-sized mounds of s'more deliciousness were my ultimate goal.  But alas, these are the product of a failed attempt (see everything I make doesnt always work!) So I improvised. Was it the chocolate cake center? Nope, the chocolate cake mixed with chocolate frosting was so perfect that I will definitely try the same technique to create future treats.  Was it my placement of the graham cracker? Again no, I played around with a few ideas on placement but adding crushed graham crackers to the hard shell was a great choice. So where did my fantastic original idea stray?

Let me clarify when I say "failed attempt".  I am NOT referring to taste.  In the taste arena, these were PERFECT.  I failed in my vision which was the same product, shaped as a cupcake and on a lollipop stick.  As you can see the shape is more acorn than cupcake. The other half of the problem was the size. I made the cakes too big resulting in a weight bearing issue with the lollipop sticks.  Simply put, the cake was too heavy to stay on top of the stick.  Lastly, a problem encountered later (which I forgot to mention) was the marshmallow frosting.  While delicious, the frosting was...marshmallow.  And marshmallow tends to be sticky.  So how was I to package these things once finished!  Luckily, the frosting dried a bit and I was able to lightly wrap them for travel. (Due to my poor self-control and husband who isnt big on sweets, I get these out of the house ASAP)

Good? no, Amazing is a better description. Will I make again with some alterations? Definitely.

S'more Cupcake Bites:

1 box chocolate cake mix (w/ needed ingredients for baking)
1 (15.5 oz) can chocolate frosting
1 bag chocolate bark, melted
5 graham crackers crushed

Bake the cake according to directions.  Let cool.
In a large bowl, crumble cooled cake and mix with frosting. Roll cake mixture into small balls 1"- 1.5" and place on baking sheet. Set chocolate balls in freezer for 10 mins to harden.
This would be the point to add the lollipop if desired.  Dip the balls into melted chocolate and cover with crushed graham cracker crumbs. Set back onto baking sheet and let cool in freezer for another 5 min.
Cover top with marshmallow frosting )recipe follows and toast with small kitchen torch.

Marshmallow Frosting:
8 Lg. egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a double boiler, set over simmering water, whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter till sugar dissolves, approx 4-5 min.  Remove boil from water and set in mixture set on low. Gradually increase speed and beat 6-8 min. or till stiff peaks form.  Add vanilla and lightly mix till incorporated.

4 comments:

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

These look like little bites of heaven!

Jess said...

These just made my Monday so much better :-) Thanks for sending me some!!!

Adrienne said...

These are pure insanity. I have never seen anything like them! Best of all worlds.

Fork1 said...

Oh yea, I could have devoured all of these. The taste is indescribable deliciousness

 
back to top