Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Szechwan Shrimp


I needed a fast, healthy dinner for tonight and I knew some sort of seafood was on the ballot.  We've had enough chicken, pasta, and pork.  Yes, I made pork and didnt post it!  Dont worry, I will.

So when I found this recipe for shrimp, I knew it was the choice.  Shrimp can be expensive but luckily my grocery store has affordable, frozen seafood that is surprisingly fresh tasting. To make the dish complete, I added broccoli, red pepper, and brown rice.

In fact, the only ingredient I needed to purchase was the shrimp.  See, I have this problem of buying everything that looks good in the produce section thinking I am going to make incredible dishes with them. The reality is that they usually sit in my veggie drawer going bad.  So this dish was a huge step for produce dilemma!

Now, I love spicy food; of course, szechwan by definition had alot of red pepper and ginger making the sauce somewhat hot.  However, I found that after doubling the ingredients for the sauce, it wasnt spicy at all.  It could have used another dose of red pepper to meet my taste buds.

All in all, this was another success in the Mr. F dinner book.  Now, after a long workday, plate in hand with a glass of wine, the evening is complete.



Szechwan Shrimp:

1-2 lbs shrimp
8 Tbl. water
4 Tbl. ketchup
2 tsp. honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (I used 1 Tbl. fresh ginger)
1 tsp. red pepper (more if you like it hot)
1/4 c. green onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
vegetable oil

In a measuring cup, combine the water, ketchup, honey, cornstarch, ginger, and red pepper.  Mix together and set aside.

In a large saute pan with oil over medium-high heat, add green onions, garlic, broccoli, and red pepper.  Saute for 3-4 min or till broccoli becomes a bit soft.  Add shrimp and add addt'l oil to lightly coat shrimp.  Add sauce, toss to combine, and cook till shrimp is pink and sauce is thick.

Serve over brown rice.

Recipe: All Recipes

3 comments:

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

I love anything szechwan. This looks amazing!

Andrea said...

This looks really good! I'm a sucker for shrimp and stir fry :) I like your blog, congrats on the foodieblogroll.com!

Fork1 said...

Thanks, this was perfect for a weeknight meal. So happy you enjoy the site!

 
back to top