Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Banana Pudding Cheesecake


Banana pudding: one of those common desserts that you love to eat but the idea of making it usually isnt very appealing.

Cheesecake: depends on the flavor but I can devour at anytime, slice by delectable slice.

Banana Pudding + Cheesecake: didnt think it could be done? Prepared to be amazed!

With a crust made from vanilla wafers and almonds, filled with cheesecake and a banana foster-like mixture, then topped with a frothy meringue and baked till golden.  Not your typical cheesecake but uniquely delicious!

Everything worked great till my meringue somewhat deflated on cooling.  Probably because, as usual, my patience meter on the cooling directions went from "cool at room temp" to straight to the fridge.  Did I fail to mention that my new springform pan decided  not cooperate in opening? Thus, as I was putting my arm through the still raging hot pan, I burned the crap out of my wrist.  On a happier note,  this is only the 2nd cheesecake I have ever made and I think it turned out great.

While you definitely need a topping to the dessert, a meringue isnt necessary (although looks beautiful).  A whipped cream might be just a yummy.


Banana Pudding Cheesecake:
Adapted from Southern Living

1 1/2 c. vanilla wafers, ground
1/4 c. almonds, ground
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 lg. ripe bananas, diced
1 Tbl. lemon juice
2 Tbl. light brown sugar
3 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
3 lg. eggs
1 Tbl. Frangelico (or coffee liquor)
2 tps. vanilla extract
Meringue (see below)

Combine wafers, almonds, and butter in a small bowl. Press evenly into bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan.


Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Combine diced bananas and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Place over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute or just until sugar has melted. Set aside.

Beat cream cheese till smooth. Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in coffee liqueur and vanilla. Pour into prepared vanilla wafer crust. Spoon tablespoonfuls of banana mixture evenly over top, and swirl gently into cream cheese mixture.

Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until center is almost set.

Drop spoonfuls of Meringue gently and evenly over hot filling.

Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until Meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven, and gently run a knife around edge of cheesecake in springform pan to loosen. Cool cheesecake completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely, and chill 8 hours. Release and remove sides of pan

Meringue:
 
3 lg. egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 c. sugar
 
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar till soft peak form*.  Gradually add sugar and beat till hard peaks form. Top cheesecake.
 
*Tip: freezing a metal mixing bowl before mixing the cold whites will speed up the process

7 comments:

-bcgw. said...

This is ridiculous on so many levels and now I have dust on my tongue, gee thanks! That looks SO insanely good! ;]

Pam said...

Now that's a cheesecake!

Your blog is SO yummy!

Enjoy!

Fork1 said...

Thanks guys. the recipe would also prob be delicious with another summer fruit...strawberries (OOOH, a Strawberry shortcake cheesecake...I need to get to work :)

Justine said...

Ooh my god this looks sooo good!

Bryan said...

Now this looks wicked good...

Hi i just came upon you blog by accident the looks good, mind if I stop by?

Fork1 said...

Im so happy you all like this cheesecake recipe! ...and yes, it was "wicked" good , lol, Check back soon, I just finished a key lime pie and some short ribs are int he oven. My house smells A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Adrienne said...

Excuse the term in advance, but my fiance would cream his pants if I made this for him. Holy cannoli.

 
back to top