Monday, April 19, 2010

Challah French Toast


White bread...eat your heart out.  

What's challah french toast?  A rich egg bread is soaked in a mixture of cream, egg, spices, vanilla, and honey, then fried in butter.  Oh, but we are NOT done yet :)  Sprinkle on the powder sugar and Apple Butter syrup. Oh ya, you know you want some.

Seriously, could french toast look any sexier?  What if I told you that I made the challah from scratch?  Now, I would love to give you step-by-step instructions on challah making but MY instructions will probably get you nowhere. I have said it before and I will repeat it again, "Yeast, is not my friend." Ok, maybe I need to alter this statement since my bread baking results have now been upgraded from hunk-of-brick to dense-yet-deliciously-edible.  In my own defense and against the recipe instructions, I used rapid rise yeast versus regular yeast. Words of advise: stick with the recipe.

Yet despite my inability to read and follow simple instructions, the challah turned out pretty freakin delicious. So if your heart is now pounding to make some fresh loaves of egg bread, please use Mariel's recipe! She even has pictures to help (I think this is what saved my bread :) And even though I didnt braid it, the challah is even more yummy than store-bought; especially, when you will have enough bread to make french toast for an army.



Challah French Toast:

3 eggs
1 c. cream
1 Tbl. honey
1 Tbl. Bakers spices (mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, etc) or just cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 slices challah
confectioner sugar
syrup

Mix first 5 ingredients in a shallow bowl or pie pan.  Soak each side of challah into mixture.  Let bread drip off any excess and place into saute pan over med heat.  Cook eat side till brown.  Remove from pan, dust with confectioners sugar and drizzle with syrup.



9 comments:

Andrea said...

How could this possibly be anything but out of this world good? My mouth is watering!

Julie said...

Looks delicious. I love french toast with challah bread.

Bryan said...

French Toast is one of my favorite indulgences. Looks great and with the delicious eggey goodness to start with I am sure it can't be beat.

Lyndsey said...

Oh this looks delicous! I'm a sucker for breakfast foods.

Adrienne said...

Oh, yeah, this is a winner.

Mariel said...

Oh wow thanks for the link up! Your french toast looks DEVINE! I definitely wanted to do that when I made some, but by the time I finally had a morning chill enough to actually make a good breakfast...it was all gone! I'll have to make some more challah/other breads soon!

Paula said...

Your French Toast Challah looks yummy! Congratulations. I clicked over to get the recipe and now I'm going to have to make it. Been making bread for years but never Challah. You should have a warning sign above your post "Don't read this if you are hungry!"

Fork1 said...

Thanks everyone! I thought the recipe made alot of bread but we have already consumed the whole thing! Time for more... thanks Mariel for the yummy challah recipe! BTW, I made this for dinner last night, just b/c I havent had enough already :)

whisk-kid said...

Yummy! I have been dying to try my hand at challah. I bet it makes incredible French Toast!

 
back to top