Monday, April 5, 2010

Mahi Mahi Tacos with Creamy Lime Sauce


At the thought of these tacos, I just want to sing...but for your sake, I wont :)  

If your thinking to yourself, "these arent my thing", I bet I can prove you wrong!  Mr. F said the same thing till I convinced him just to try one.  Now he requests them!

Don't think of them as a traditional taco; instead, think of them as the equivalent to a healthy fish entree. I mean, I dont know the actual caloric breakdown on this recipe but your practically giving your body a workout: blackened fish, shredded cabbage, lime sauce, cheese, small corn tortilla.  You could even add a pica de gallo and cover all the major food groups.

I dont remember when I first  discovered my love for these tacos but I do remember when I decided to try them out for myself.  My initial attempts began with pre-marinated fish and discovered this was BIG mistake.  Once I began preparing my own blackened fish, my next addition was with a creamy lime sauce.  The sauce is so delicious, it can be made for just about anything.  After several trials, I prefer to pour the sauce on top of the taco rather than premix the slaw into the sauce.  Its simply a personal preference.  Have fun with them!


Mahi Mahi Tacos:

2 small fillets Mahi Mahi (or light fish)
1pkg corn tortillas
1 pkg shredded coleslaw mix
1 pkg shredded monterey Jack cheese
1/4 c. mayo
2 tsp. milk
1 Tbl. Lime juice
Paprika
chili powder
garlic powder
sal/pepper

Dry fish fillets and heavy sprinkle both side with Paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt/pepper.  Heat 1 Tbl. of oil in a pan over med-high heat.  Cook fish 2-3 min on each side or till done and remove from pan. Do not over cook! Fish will continue to cook a little after being removed from pan. 
In a small saute pan over med heat, coat tortilla in cooking spray and lay flat in pan.  After 15 secs. flip to cook the other side and spray lightly.  Once tortilla begins to bubble, remove from pan and continue with remaining tortillas.  ( I usually make 8)
For Lime sauce: Mix Mayo, lime juice, and milk in small bowl.  Should have a thick consistency.  If Mayo is too overpowering, add more lime. 
Assemble the tortillas with cheese, fish, coleslaw, and sauce. 

3 comments:

Naomi said...

YUmmy! Creamy lime sauce with Mahi Mahi. This is my dinner for the evening. Thanks for sharing

Julie said...

I love fish tacos. These look delicious. Can't wait to make them.

Fork1 said...

Let me know how they turn out. Enjoy:)

 
back to top