Monday, April 26, 2010

Poppyseed Buttermilk Tea Cake


I. Have. Done. It! Muahahaha (that's an evil laugh by the way)

Ever wonder what to do with poppyseed filling, other than making my delicious hamantachen cookies? Look no further, for the most delicious poppyseed cake is right in front of you! And once again, I am amazed at the number of people who have never had poppyseed anything.  Maybe its my southern roots talking but I was under the impression poppy seed is as common as snickerdoodles and grits...ok, point taken.

This tea cake is perfect for brunch and dessert.  The buttermilk allows the cake to retain its perfect moisture level and the filling provides just enough sweetness.  For a light dessert, a strawberry puree would be perfect. Oh, did I mention how simple it is to throw together?

Now, Ive gotcha :)

Btw, poppyseed filling is found in a can next to the almond paste in the baking aisle.




Poppyseed Tea Cake:
Adapted from Noble Pig

2-2/3 cups cake flour (do not substitute)1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
4-5 Tablespoons Poppyseed filling
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
1-2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk 
(I did not use lowfat & I let it warm up a bit with the eggs and butter before using)
In a medium sized bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Beat butter with an electric mixer for about one minute.  Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and airy; about 2 more minutes.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

Add 1 egg at a time to butter-sugar mixture, beating well after each until batter is smooth.  Add lemon juice, poppy seed filling and vanilla; mix well.

Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk (i.e. start with dry and end with dry) scraping down sides with rubber spatula after each addition.  Do not over mix or you will have a tough cake.

Grease bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch cake pan (use butter and flour, shortening and flour or baking spray).  Pour batter into prepared cake pan and use a spatula to spread batter evenly in pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.


8 comments:

Bryan said...

Looks beautiful and sounds great! I get that Look sometimes when I talk about poppy seeds too.

Camilla Baker said...

I love your blog name! I saw it and had to stop by. Poppyseed and buttermilk teacake sounds delish, it might have to be made this weekend- thanks!

Camilla Baker said...

OK P.S what is poppyseed filling?

Fork1 said...

Poppyseed filling is like a thick paste that almost has an almond flavor. Its found near pie fillings. I could eat it right out of the can!

Thanks for stopping by :)

Andrea said...

I've never (knowingly) tried poppyseed filling. I have had poppy seed muffins & bread, was it in there? If so then I love that stuff LOL :) the cake looks so good. I wish I had a slice to go with my coffee right now!

bakersroyale said...

Looks and sounds fab! I love lemon, so I will definitely be trying this.

Teauna said...

This looks so so good! Hey! Go to my blog! I have an award for you!
http://fromcupboardtocupboard.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-first-award.html

Camilla Baker said...

Sadly I cannot find it in Sydney?
I'll have to come up with a substitute..thanks for the heads up

 
back to top