Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Black Bean Mushroom Burgers


How to get a guy to eat a a veggie burger? Step 1: make patty to look like beef. Step 2: season with delicious spices to overcome any lacking flavor. Step 3: Don't tell guy, add a little cheese, serve on a bun and await result!

My end result?  Mr. F ate a two burgers!  In his defense, he did know they were made from black beans and mushrooms.  However, if this burger lacked in any flavor or consistency department, he would be the first to say "this was good but not my favorite."  And my interpretive skills would allow me to translate this to mean "please don't ever make this again." HOWEVER, I hadn't even sat down with my plate before I heard moans of deliciousness emanating from the other room (yes, we ate in front of the TV). 

Easy, simple, and fantastic, these burgers will be added to my regular dinner rotation.  Next time, I will add variety to the flavor with different ingredients.  For now, I have to thank BrownEyed Baker for a wonderful recipe!  

I added sweet potato chips as a "healthy" side.  I guess a salad would be a better nutritious choice but, who am I kidding, I just ran 3 miles and I want some sweet potatoes :) 
Black Bean Mushroom Burger:
Recipe adapted from BrownEyed Baker

1 Tablespoon canola oil, plus more for brushing
1 cup finely chopped onion
8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 c. bread crumbs

15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 ounces (about ½ cup) shredded mozzarella Cheese
4 Hamburger buns

4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
Salt/Pepper to taste


In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, garlic, cumin, red pepper, and paprika and cook until mushrooms have released their juices, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
In a food processor, add the mushroom mixture and beans; pulse until combined, but not smooth – leave some chunky bits. Scoop mixture into the bowl with the bread crumbs; add the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Mix ingredients together and divide into 4 equal portions. With dampened hands, shape each portion into four thick patties. Lightly brush each side of all patties with canola oil.
Heat a grill, grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Place patties on the surface and cook until thoroughly heated through and the outside has crisped, about 5 minutes per side. Serve burgers on buns with a slice of Pepper Jack cheese.







4 comments:

Julie said...

I love black bean burgers. I can occasionally talk my husband into eating one with me.

Andrea said...

My sister would love this!!! Thanks for the great meatless burger recipe, I'll give this a try for sure!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Looks great! And it really does look like meat!! May have to try this out on my hubby :)

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker said...

I'm so glad you and your man enjoyed these! They really are delicious and not your typical veggie burger!

 
back to top