Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blueberry Buttermilk Scones


Another Sunday morning baking adventure.  I have never made scones before but this recipe seemed so delicious and easy.  I just couldn't resist.

Made with buttermilk and, of course, filled with blueberries, my only mistake was not following the recipe.  Why would I? After all, I am a master at baking *rolling eyes*  Innocently enough, I forgot to add the blueberries after my ingredients were already combined.  So to break up the thick dough, I added just a tad of extra buttermilk.  If I had gone with the original recipe, my scones wouldn't look so "globby". However, regardless of the final look, these scones are incredible!

So if your looking for an easy and delicious breakfast, this recipe is perfect for those summer morning.




Blueberry Buttermilk Scones:

Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling scones
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries,washed and dried
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more to brush scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a food processor bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add cold butter cubes and pulse until you have the texture of coarse bread crumbs. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then add 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir to combine. As it comes together add blueberries and fold dough to incorporate blueberries but not break them up too much.
Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a lined sheet pan. Using a pastry brush, paint the tops of each scone lightly with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until golden brown, and nice and puffy, about 17 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Looks wonderful, I love a fresh scone for breakfast!

 
back to top