Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chocolate Espresso Bundt Cake


Does this recipe really need an explanation? I saw this cake and my mouth simply watered.  Dark chocolate + espresso + bundt (thats all the other ingredients combined in cake form) = Choir singing "Hallelujah"

Although a little time consuming, its definitely worth the effort!  Instead of buying an entire jar full of instant espresso, I had on-hand the instant Starbucks Vio packets and doubled the recipe amount.  

Oh, and the icing on the cake (literally) is a dark chocolate ganache.  Only because the cake wasn't rich enough without icing, a double layer of ganache was poured over top.  And may I suggest an additional cup of joe to go along with the cake...if you can take all that caffeine.

Chocolate Espresso Bundt Cake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease bundt pan with vegetable shortening and dust with cocoa powder.

2 tsp. instant espresso powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. hot water
2 and 3/4 cups unsifted All-Purpose flour, unbleached
1/4 cup unsifted cake flour
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. Dutch processed cocoa
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups dark chocolate chips
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, with all lumps broken up
5 eggs, large
1 cup sour cream, thick style ( I used Greek Yogurt)
2 Tbsp. heavy cream

For the ganache: 
1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 and 1/2 cups chopped dark chocolate

To make the cake:
Stir together the espresso powder, vanilla extract, and hot water in a very small bowl.

Onto a large sheet of parchment or wax paper, sift together the flour, cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium size bowl, toss the chocolate pieces with about 1 Tbsp. of this flour mixture. Set both aside.

In the large bowl of your mixer, cream the butter on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl. 
Pour in the granulated sugar in 3 additions, mixing for about 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the bowl frequently to ensure even mixing. Add in all of the brown sugar and beat for 1 more minute. Scrape again.

One at a time, add in the eggs, beating for 45 seconds after each one. Scrape! Blend in the espresso mixture.
On low speed, add in the sifted ingredients alternately with the sour cream (3 additions of flour and 2 additions of the sour cream). Scrape after each addition. 
Blend in the heavy cream. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate pieces well with a spatula. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.  

Bake the cake on the middle rack of your oven for about 70 minutes or more (mine took an extra 20 min), until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake starts to pull away slightly from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes.

 
To make the ganache:
Place the chopped chocolate in a medium size bowl. In a heavy sauce pan, warm the heavy cream over a low flame. Do not let it boil. Pour all of the warm cream over the chocolate and let it sit undisturbed for a few minutes, then gently stir until all the chocolate is melted, completely blended in, and the ganache is smooth. Pour over cooled cake

9 comments:

Bryan said...

Oh My GOD! Chocolate, Espresso together in a bundt cake. You my forking friend are my hero this sounds absolutely Wonderful!

collin said...

Looks nice and yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

Take the Cake Personality Test and find out which cake are you like. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

Fork1 said...

Haha, Thanks Bryan and Collin.

Word of advice: do NOT eat right before bedtime!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sweet god!! Really could there be something that delicious on the planet? Why am I posting comments, I should be baking this cake. NOW! VIA is what I use, too, when powdered espresso is called for :) Oooh, I think I'll use dark chocolate covered espresso beans as a garnish - YUM!

Fork1 said...

Your right Andrea... Via. Go for the chocolate covered espresso beans! I bet that would send this cake over-the-top!

Kimberly Peterson said...

I saw the top PIC and my mouth watered!!!

thecoffeebreak said...

Espresso and chocolate - a match made in heaven :) Yum!!!

Meal Replacement Diets said...

I had to go and grab a napkin to mop up my key board after looking at this decadent bundt cake, seriously I think a warning should of been posted!

Dana said...

My tummy has always been pretty sensitive to coffee and it's products, but I know a certain man who would adore this cake, especially with a tall coffee beside his slice. I'll have to file it away, maybe for his birthday.

 
back to top