Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spaghetti Alla Carbonara


Have you ever had one of those dishes that you can't get out of your mind? That no matter where you turn, you see the dish or recipe on every menu, billboard, or cooking show?  

For the past few weeks, I have been seeing pasta carbonara everywhere I have gone.  Maybe it's the angel on my shoulder telling me that I shouldn't be ordering pasta so instead I lust over a dish that is out of my reach.  I can smell the pasta, pancetta and warm parmesan all melding together in a simplistic yet mouth-watering pasta dish.  This is a true comfort food.  So needless to say, I had to give into my craving.  

From start to finish, Spaghetti Alla Carbonara takes a mere 15 minutes.  Unlike most pasta dishes, this recipe does not include a sauce.  Instead, a mound of parmesan cheese and egg are whipped together and combined with the hot pasta.  While coating the pan, the egg cooks and the cheese melts.  The result is a creamy dish with hints of pancetta (or in my case, bacon), garlic, and peas.

Simply Outstanding!
Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
Recipe adapted from Food Network

1 Lb. Spaghetti
2 T. EVOO
6 slices of bacon, cut into strips
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 c. parmesan, grated
1/2 c. peas, frozen

Cook the pasta till al dente.  Make you sure you time the cooking of pasta with the finishing of the pan mixture.  The pasta needs to be hot when combined with the eggs.

In a large saute pan, heat the EVOO on medium.  Add the bacon and cook till crispy and the fat is rendered. Toss in the minced garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the frozen peas and cook an additional 30 seconds.  Pull the pasta from the hot pasta water and into the large saute pan. Remove pan from heat. Toss for 1 min to make sure the bacon, garlic, and peas are combined with the pasta.

In a small bowl, combine the cheese and eggs.  Whisk together till combined.  Add the egg mixture to the hot saute pan and toss together to fully coat the pasta. Thin out the pasta with some reserved pasta water if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

This is one of my favorite dishes too! so simple but so satisfying and it just makes me feel all warm inside. Yours looks great by the way!

Fork1 said...

Thanks Bryan! I dream about this pasta in my sleep.

 
back to top