Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crab Cakes


I don't know about the rest of you but I go through food phases. What can I say... One day I can crave a particular food and the next day completely detest it.  For example, last week, I made three dinners that starred red meat.  As of last night, as I was sitting with what I was hoping to be a purely delicious BBQ meatloaf and provolone hoagie, turned out in the trash can 30 seconds after my first bite.  So now, I am onto another main food ingredient, seafood.

Surprisingly, I have NEVER made a crab cake before; however, I have eaten my fair share.  I expect a crab cake to be mainly lump crabmeat and not breading. Side note: Yes, I splurged on REAL, local crabmeat and not crab flavored whatever-you-call those sticks.  I even followed the recipe and used red peppers.  For those that know me can attest to the fact that there are very few things that I usually will not eat. Sadly to say, cilantro and bell peppers make that list.  However, I do love hot peppers and sweet peppers.  I'm guessing with bell peppers being so expensive right now, they are not in season. Hey, I just spent a small fortune on crabmeat, I was not going to spend another $3 for a pepper that I do not like anyway. So sweet peppers it is! A few other ingredients, shape into patties, sear, and serve! Voila

The leftovers also work well in sandwich form.  How does a toasted Hoagie roll with a smear of tartar sauce and a crab cake sound?  I know, life is hard.
Crab Cakes
recipe from Ellie Krieger

  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Dash hot sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet peppers
  • scallion, including green top, finely chopped
  • 1 pound lump crab, picked over for cartilage
  • 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl mix together the egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning and hot sauce. Stir in the bell pepper and scallion. Gently fold in the crab, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste. Put the remaining bread rumbs in a shallow dish.
Divide the crab mixture into 8 mounds. Shape 1 mound into a round and coat in bread crumbs. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and flatten the crab cake to form a patty about 1-inch high. Repeat to form the remaining crab cakes.
Bake until golden on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Gently flip the crab cakes and cook until the second side is golden, 5 to 10 minutes longer.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

these sound great, I love a good crab cake. I agree... YOu gotta get the real stuff those sticks are just too strange.

Dana said...

I would eat a crabcake sandwich! These look great, and you are right, crab sticks don't belong anywhere near a crab cake.

Binky said...

Wow. Now I can't believe I've never made one either. (I am sad that you don't like cilantro and bell peppers!!) Thanks for sharing the recipe! I will get back to you if I try it soon!

Nanci Waldman said...

Love a good crab cake!!!! My sisters and I just started our first themed blog hop over at http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com
every Sunday!. This weeks theme is appetizers. We would love for you to come over and share these or any of your favorite appetizer recipes with our blog readers. Have a great weekend.
Nanci

 
back to top