Thursday, April 28, 2011

Almond Apple Crisp



Like so many, I did my part for Passover.  I bought a box a matzo. Because nothing says understanding the plight of the Jewish people like a box of Matzo.  *OK, so that same box is still in the pantry half full but it was the thought of the purchase that counts. To top off Passover, I also attended the family Seder. 

During the course of the evening, I discovered that I have no taste for Tzimmas , brisket cooked with prunes, go figure. But I did discover that while the holiday limits the range of desserts that can be included, almond flour makes an excellent and nutritious substitute. In this almond apple crisp, not only are ingredients parve for Pesach, they are also gluten-free. *A dessert that is so healthy is not usually my thing; however, I also brought a flourless chocolate cake that balanced the usage of calories. Apples, almond flour, spices, honey, oil and salt...that's it!

Serve with ice cream and the dessert is complete.
Almond Apple Crisp
Adapted from Elana's Pantry

5 c. sliced apples
2 c. almond flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/3 c. grapeseed oil
1/4 c. orange blossom honey or agave nectar
1 T. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine oil, honey, and vanilla.  Whisk to combine.

In medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to combine.

Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir.

In a deep dish pie pan or 8x8" glass pan, place sliced apples. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. cinnamon and stir to combine.

Crumble the almond topping over the apples.  Cover and place in oven for 50 min. Remove cover and continue baking till crisp for 10 min.

Serve with ice cream.

3 comments:

adrienne_sakura said...

would regular vegetable oil be an appropriate substitute for grapeseed oil? i know it might not as tasty but do you think it would mess with the baking process? might save me a few $$. looks very tasty.

Fork1 said...

Grapeseed oil is a very light tasting oil. I found it in Wal-mart with the kosher foods. Rather than veg oil, if you have light olive oil that would work too. Ultimately, I would just test it first rather than wasting the almond flour. Let me know how it turns out :)

Bryan said...

There probably isn't a desert that is higher on my list than a good crisp. This looks amazing!

 
back to top