Monday, April 18, 2011

S'more Ice Cream



A childhood favorite in the form of an ice cream...oh yeah!  I have always loved the combination of a S'more.  I think back on all the charred marshmallows that I inhaled during those summer campfires. As you can imagine I was very particular in my S'more construction. There is a precise ratio of marshmallow to chocolate to graham cracker that must be established or the taste of the marshmallow is lost. Oh the stomach aches...

Beside eating out the jar *don't judge, there are so many things that one can do with marshmallow fluff.
And what a better way to celebrate the S'more flavor combination than through a homemade ice cream. A marshmallow base mixed with morsels of chocolate and soft graham crackers.

This recipe did make it into the hands of some taste-testers.  Yes, it defintely earned their approval.

S'more Ice Cream
Adapted from David Lebovitz 

6 lg. egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. crushed graham crackers
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Warm the milk, sugar, and 1 c. of the cream in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and let sit.

Pour 1 c. of cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over top. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed yolks back into the saucepan. 

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping into the bottom as you stir,  until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream.  Add the vanilla extract and stir until cool over ice bath. 
Heat the jar of marshmallow cream in microwave till able to pour.  While custard is cooling over ice bath, slowly pour in marshmallow creme. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, overnight is best.

Freeze mixture in your ice cream mixture according to manufacturers instructions.  When ice cream is finished, stir in the graham crackers and chocolate morsels.  

Serve

3 comments:

Bryan said...

OK you got me... Wow! Once I get my new fridge this will be on the table. Thanks

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

This looks awesome.I don't think I've ever heard of s'mores ice cream.But I will be trying it for sure!

Fork1 said...

Thanks, i was inspired with the marshmallow ice cream from one of my grandmother's old recipe; however, that version called for using raw eggs. So I had to change it up a bit. Enjoy

 
back to top