Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Key Lime Tarts


Outside my window: Not a cloud in the sky. Temperature is in the high 70's.   Turtles are sunning themselves while an otter swims around playing.  Yes, I live in Florida. These are the days that I learn to appreciate. In between the windy, wet winter and before the hot-as-blazes, I-need-a-shower summer, there exists a week of perfection.  And if the perfection of this Floridian week could be baked in a pie, it would be key lime. 

I have definitely had my share of key lime pies but this recipe is among my top favorites. Including the crust, these tarts consist of a total of 6 ingredients.  Yes, I did say tarts.  Why would I go to the trouble to bake individual tarts when I could easy fit everything into one simple pie? Good question. Mr. F was nice enough to purchase these tart pans that I just HAD to have... and after 6 months of sitting in my cabinet, I finally put them to good use :) And they are cute.

As a gift from me to you, please enjoy some Florida sunshine. 
Key Lime Tarts (or Pie)

Crust
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c. sugar
6 T. butter, melted

Filling
1/2 c. sour cream
3 c. sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c. key lime juice

Crust:  Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir well  to combine. Grease tart shells or one 9" pie pan. Press mix in all sides of pan.  In a 375 degree oven, bake shell for 6-7 minutes.

Filling:  Combine sour cream, milk, and juice in a medium bowl .  Pour into prepared tart shells or pie pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or till tiny bubbles appear on the surface. DO NOT BROWN.

Let tarts/pie cool to set.

4 comments:

adrienne_sakura said...

how many key limes does it take to produce that much juice?r

Fork1 said...

You can buy bottled key lime juice from the Key Lime company. It comes in a yellow bottle. If you are wanting to use fresh limes, I would buy at least 2 bags. Utlimately, if you can find it, the bottled is cheaper and tastes the same.

Bryan said...

I love Key Lime pie! Thanks for the advise about the bottled juice! Actual Key limes are only available for about 15 minutes a year around here.

Fork1 said...

Bryan- really? Hopefully, you can find the bottled stuff to enjoy these tarts year round. So much easier than juicing all those limes anyway!

 
back to top