Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie


Dessert and my father do not mix.  He does enjoy them occasionally; however, a piece of cheese sounds  like a better last course than a piece of cake. Obviously, I did not inherit his taste in food.  But over many Halloweens, I have discovered his weakness... peanut butter cups! So for this past Father's Day, I made this chocolate peanut butter pie.  Wouldn't you know, for the first time in my life, Dad got a second helping of dessert. 

An Oreo crust, cream cheese peanut butter center, and topped with a dark chocolate ganache. I could have done a little more with the presentation but I was too eager to inhale the pie instead.  So roasted peanuts served as a wonderful garnish.  And any dessert that can overcome my Dad's resistance to sweets is definitely a keeper; especially on Father's Day. 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Adapted from  Evil Chef Mom

1 pre-made Oreo pie crust
1 c. cream cheese
2/3 c. smooth peanut butter
4 T. sugar
3/4 c. whipped cream

Topping:
2 T. sugar
1 T. butter, cut into pieces
2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 c. whipping cream

Filling: In a medium bowl,  whip 3/4 c. cream till soft peaks form.  In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar.  Beat until blended. Fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture.

Topping: In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and  1/2 c. cream. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar. Lower the heat and simmer mix for 5-6 till thick. Remove saucepan from heat and add in the chocolate and butter. Stir to combine and let cool for a few minutes.

Pour the topping over the peanut butter filling and spread evenly on pie. Chill in refrigerator till hard, at least 1 hr.

To serve: Let the pie sit for a few minutes and the top will soften.

6 comments:

adrienne_sakura said...

omg want!!! i need a reason to make this. it looks so freakin' good. ;)

Dana said...

I love that it looks like a slice of giant peanut butter cup! So cute, no wonder why your dad would like it.

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Anything in that flavor combination is heavenly!!

Lisa said...

Now that's a pie that wouldn't last long in my house. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pie up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-23.html

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful recipe...looks so yummy!
First time here and loved your space. Hope to see you on my blog:)

Fork1 said...

Thanks Everyone- I def need to make more things with this flavor combo. I had forgotten my infinite love!

 
back to top