Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Raspberry Clafouti


Doesn't this picture make you think of a Sunday Brunch? Well, I hate to ruin the imagery but this was taken on a Tuesday after work.  I know, it's a weeknight, what am I thinking?

Sorting through some recipes, I came across a picture of this souffle, custard-like dessert.  I had no clue what a clafouti was but I knew I had to have it. I did the in-depth research. *Think Ina Garten and Wikipedia. Only top notch sources for knowledge. Come to find out, it's origin is French.  Pronounced Cla-Foo-Tee, I really thought it might be a deeply southern dessert.  Say it out loud and add a twang...yea, you can hear it. 

I also found that traditionally this dish is made with cherries (I will eat them but not as a first choice in fruit.) Instead, I found that raspberries and chambord might make for an even better take on the traditional version.  Boy was I right! Light like a souffle but rich like a lightly sweetened custard, the raspberries went perfectly.  Simple ingredients make the clafouti easy and quick to prepare.

Go ahead and surprise your family or guests with this dessert.
Raspberry Clafouti
Adapted from Ina Garten



  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons Chambord
  • 1 1/2 packages fresh Raspberries
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease a shallow baking dish and dust dish with sugar.
Beat the eggs and the 1⁄3 cup of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, mix in the flour, cream, vanilla, salt, and Chambord. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Arrange the raspberries in a single layer in the baking dish. Pour the batter over the raspberries and bake until the top is golden brown and the custard is firm, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

what a great looking dessert! Thhis on will be on my list for some weekend brunch soon! thanks

Ellen Zames said...

This looks really yummy


This is a perfect recipe for this week's Sharing Sundays because our theme is RED!!! We would love if you would drop by and link up this recipe and any other recipes that have RED ingredients such as, Strawberries, Marinara Sauce, Red Peppers, Tomatoes etc.

http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

Ellen

 
back to top