Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Lasagna


For better or worse, I decided that I was going to start being more health conscience: nutrition and exercise.  This was capped off this past weekend by my INSANE idea to begin doing the P90X Ab Ripper workout.   So off Mr. F and I went, completed the entire thing fairly painlessly and even thought perhaps I could have pushed myself a little harder. Fast forward to the next morning, whereby I couldn't move.  I am not talking muscle pain, stretch it out, and go on about your day. I am talking, cant laugh or sneeze or any sudden movements that might involve my ab muscles, and you can forget walking at any speed faster than a snail's pace. Needless to say, I have been running fairly regularly...and yes, today I will again attempt the ab ripper from hell workout. No pain, no gain, right?   *eye roll*

Food-wise, I came across this recipe for a fall lasagna. Fresh butternut squash, pumpkin, white sauce and egg noodles were the main ingredients in this find.  I was hoping to show Mr.F that not every meal needs to contain meat.  Vegetables can be filling and delicious...amazing! A little time consuming and a week's worth of leftovers later, this lasagna will go into my seasonal recipes. 

Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Lasagna

Adapted from Rachel Ray

1 box egg noodles
2 1/4 c. butternut squash, peeled & cubed
1 can. pure pumpkin
1 c. water
1 egg
2 shallots, diced
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
salt/pepper

Heat oven to 400 degree.  Grease an 9x13 pan.

Cook egg noodles till al dente.  Set aside.

Heat large saute, deep saute pan on medium-heat.  Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and add squash and water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir till water is evaporated.

Heat last 2 Tablespoons in a small saucepan. Add shallots and stir till soft, approx. 2 minutes.  Whisk in flour and continue to stir for about 2 minutes. Gradually add in milk; bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes constantly whisking. When thickened, remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, beat together the pumpkin and egg.  set aside.

To assemble, spoon a small amount of white sauce on bottom of pan.  Layer egg noodles and pack down.  spoon a layer of pumpkin (all), then noodles and pack down.  Spread a layer of white sauce, then squash, then noodles and pack down. End with a layer of white sauce. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover for last 10 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.

1 comment:

Mary Spice said...

I am also trying one meatless day a week - Meatless Mondays. I have Mr. M on board and we are two weeks in, so far so good.

 
back to top