Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Southwest Cumin Salad


Does it feel like Halloween lasted FOREVER this year, or was it just me?  Maybe it was because it fell on a Monday so the weekend was crammed-packed with Halloween everything. Astonishingly enough, I think I might have already overdosed on baked goods and dessert parties.  I know, I feel terrible just admitting this.  Don't worry, I feel a second wind coming on soon.

To take my mind off all the chocolate and refined sugar coursing through my veins, I have started making this addictive salad. Of course the salad components are extremely important; however, the creme-de-la-creme is the cumin vinaigrette. Cumin?! ...may not sound appealing but wait till you taste it!  Side note: This is the same message I gave to a co-worker who told me that my pumpkin cookies looked like crap...but tasted soo good! 

The Southwest part is a little of this and a little of that: Teriyaki & Ginger chicken, black beans, corn, red onion, avocado, tomato, dollop of sour cream, and crushed Tostitos Black Bean Chips.  Mix it all together and just start inhaling.  You won't be sorry.


Southwest Cumin Salad
Dressing from: Yolanda Maciejewski

Romaine lettuce
2 Tablespoons red onion, diced
1/4 C. Black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 C. Corn
2 Tablespoons Tomato, diced
1/2 Avocado, diced
1 chicken breast, marinated in Teriyaki and Ginger dressing/sauce, grilled and sliced
1 large dollop of sour cream
1 handful of Tostito's Black Bean corn chips, crushed

Cumin Vinaigrette:
1/3 c. lemon Juice
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. water
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. paprika
3 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, minced

Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together and serve over salad.  Store in the fridge.

1 comment:

ArchaeologyAnna said...

OH wow! This looks amazing! I have been on a salad kick lately so I will have to try it!

 
back to top