Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Southwestern Chicken Chowder


I must have the sweetest blood on the planet because I have no explanation for the attack of mosquito's that occurs every time I walk outside.  I could be in a crowd of people, yet I would be eaten alive if I didn't have bug spray.  Five minutes is all is takes and I go from perfectly fine to red polka dotted and itchy.  Ridiculous, I tell you...freakin ridiculous!

You would think that the vampirous appetites of mosqutios would be non-existent due to the cooler weather.  And you would be right, except in the swamp and breeding grounds that are Florida, cooler weather lasts about week.  That said time frame occured last week...now, its over! Yay, wasnt winter fun!  Back to the humidity and bugs.

So during the winter blizzard of 2011, Mr. F was craving a filling chowder.  I'm usually not a huge soup fan unless cream, pasta, or something rich and hearty is an ingredient. And for all of the above reasons, I can sometimes crave a chowder. I came across this simple spicy Southwestern Chicken Chowder and knew it would hit the spot. I found that the heat of the chowder was based on the heat level of the salsa added. We chose a spicy salsa and weren't disappointed. Adding some chopped cilantro, squeeze of fresh lime, and sour cream made the dish and cooled down the spiciness.  At least, Mr. F agreed after polishing off two bowls.

Definitely a "keeper" recipe!


Southwestern Chicken Chowder
Adapted from Let's Dish
 
2- 3 cups, shredded chicken ( I took 2 chicken breasts, seasoned and baked them on 350 for 20 min)
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 (32 oz) box Chicken Broth
1 (16 o.z) jar Salsa ( I would go with medium or hot)
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Sweet Corn, drained and rinsed

Cilantro
Sour Cream
Fresh Lime Wedges

In a soup pot over high heat, add the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and salsa.  Stir  and let come to a boil.  Once boiling, turn down heat and add chicken, black beans, and corn.  Let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve topped with the cilantro, sour cream, and squeeze of lime (they DEFINITLY help make the dish)!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Looks great! With winter on the way I will definatly be trying this one out!

 
back to top