Thursday, December 15, 2011

Raspberry Almond Thumbprints



Some people like to experiment with a recipe, I am not one of them.  I have a concept, idea, or recipe in my mind and I expect it to work the first time.   If at first I don't succeed with a recipe, it goes in the trash and I wont attempt it again.  This could be due to my creative process.  I get so excited over my fantastic idea that when it doesn't work, I move on to something I already know is phenomenal. I enjoy the baking and cooking process but if I spend hours making something, I want it to taste more than "okay."

Needless to say, when I was baking a new recipe for a cookie exchange at work and the result turned out flat-as-pancakes, I dumped the whole batch in the garbage and sought something new.  Utilizing the same raspberry lemon jam compote I had just made, I found this almond thumbprint recipe.  If these didn't work, I was first going to scream and then whip up some brownies. May I was just having an off day.

As you can see, these shortbread gems turned out pretty and delicious.  Thank goodness! Mr .F suggested store-bought cookies...store-bought!!! I do have a reputation to uphold at work. So if your looking for something easy or simply need a recipe for a cookie exchange, here it is. 

Hope you enjoy!

Raspberry Almond Thumbprints

1 c. unsalted butter
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract.
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. seedless raspberry jam
1 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1 tsp. milk
3/4 tsp. almond extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small saucepan, heat the jam and lemon juice together till smooth.  Let cool completely.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add in the flour and extract till dough comes together.  Roll in your hands  a teaspoon of dough and place on cookie sheet 1" apart.  Using the end of a wooden spoon dipped in flour, press gently into the dough balls. Don't worry about making a large hole, the cookies will spread during baking.  Fill the holes with a small amount of the jam.  Place baking sheet in the freezer for 10 min before baking.  Bake for 14-18 min.

In a small ziploc bag, mix the confectioners sugar, extract, and milk together to form icing.  If icing needs to be more runny, add a 1/4 tsp. of milk.  Squeeze bag to mix.  On one corner of the bag, snip off a tiny corner and use to ice warm cookies.

Enjoy!



No comments:

 
back to top